20 August 2006

Having a blog is like keeping a diary for me; I have wonderful intentions of writing in it every day, but it often seems that a week goes by before I remember to write in it again. This time, my absence is marked by the fact that I have been frantically searching for a NYC apartment. Two words: NOT FUN. Half the places you arrange to see get rented before you even get there. A majority never even get back to you when you contact them to say you're interested. Of the ones that you actually do get to see, two out of three of them are U-U-U-U-G-L-Y. Or teeny tiny. Or in a basement. Or all of the above. Or too expensive. Finally, however, I found the perfect (albeit on the small side) apartment. It was the first place I walked into and felt like I was actually home. It was absolutely adorable, brand new, beautiful backyard, laundry on the premises, plenty of parking, clean, wow. We signed for it, went out to celebrate, then walked back to the car and realized that the lovely apartment complex across the street was the projects. Mom's heart sank and took mine down with it. After grappling with stereotypes we bring with us and making sure I would be safe, I think I'm going to take it. But it's made me think, again, about racism in our country and the system we live in that perpetuates these stereotypes. What kind of person am I if I want us to take ACTION to break down racial stereotypes but act in ways that contradict that? Is there integrity in refusing to live near the kind of people I want to help?

Amidst all the thoughts swirling in my head, I feel God calling me to live as Jesus would, without prejudice and with total love for ALL people. This is where we have to put FAITH into ACTION.

No comments: