11 October 2006

So I came home early today because I had to meet a repair guy here. He walked in, started working, and his cellphone rang. He talked to his wife for a few minutes, hung up, then asked to turn on the news because a plane just crashed into a building in Manhattan. There was a moment when we both looked at each other, two strangers, and registered a common ground. Here we were, in New York City, getting news about the same event as 9/11. He called his brother, who works in the city, to make sure he was alright. We turned on the news. As we listened, we were so relieved to learn that it was not a terrorist attack, that it was an accident, that our worst fears were not realized. But I was also saddened to hear reports that a few people have died, and that hundreds of people will get back from work and suddenly be homeless. And the most beautiful part is people's response - the news reports had to include comments from the Red Cross to not bring food or clothing because they already had a supply. People want to know how they can help. It's things like this that restore my faith in humanity, just when I'm convinced that people are inherently selfish and bad. It gives me hope when I feel hopeless.

No comments: